General Information

  1. The information below repeats some of the hire agreement information; hirers should read the hire agreement carefully before signing it.
  2. All drivers of the horsebox must be either named drivers or have completed a satisfactory insurance hire form and rental agreement form supported by copies of driving licence and proof of current address (bank statement or utility bill, address must match the driving license). The new mechanism for license checking with DVLA requires that hirers log on to to obtain a One Time Use Access Code, which is valid for 21 days (a hirer needs their Driving Licence number, National Insurance Number and Postcode to do this). The access code must be passed to us so we can contact DVLA and use it to generate information about your eligibility to drive the lorry
  3. Payments for hire must be complete before signing for the keys.
  4. The agreement for the vehicle confirms that the driver has made the daily checks on the vehicle and has copies of essential documentation (driving license, insurance, emergency phone numbers etc). The agreement must be signed dated and timed with the starting odometer reading noted. Pre-drive checks are also mandated in the hire agreement.
  5. On return the driver must:
    1. Complete the return section of the agreement noting final odometer reading and any incidents or concerns.
    2. Clean the vehicle or arrange for it to be done.
    3. Never allow the fuel tank to be less than a quarter full as this can lead to mechanical faults. So if diesel is less than a quarter, please put some in and bring the receipt when returning, we will deduct the cost from your balance due for the run. The Horsebox will be supplied with plenty of fuel for the planned trip.
  6. Hire fees: on request. 
  7. The insurance allows hirers to use the vehicle for hire and reward, but only to carry horses. We’re hoping that with Little Bear Transport Ltd everyone wins.
    Insurance excess, currently £750, hirers must cover this excess in the event of damage to the vehicle (it is specified in the rental agreement, so the agreement covers this item).
  8. Location : Pound Farm, Swan Lane, Leigh, Wiltshire SN6 6RD.
    For the Devizes are: 3 Osmund Road, Devizes, Wiltshire, SN10 3GD.
  9. Contact: 07481142241.  Email:
  10. Accident reporting information.

What must a driver involved in a traffic accident do

A driver involved in a traffic accident should stop whether or not the accident was their fault if:-

  • anyone, other than themselves, is injured; or
  • another vehicle, or someone else’s property, is damaged; or
  • an animal in another vehicle or running across the road is injured; or
  • a bollard, street lamp or other item of street furniture is damaged.

If you have to stop, you must remain near the vehicle long enough for anyone who is involved directly or indirectly in the accident to ask for details. This could be, for example, the owner of an injured animal, a relative of someone who is injured, or the police. The driver must then give their name and address, the name and address of the owner of the vehicle (if the driver is not the owner), and the registration number of the vehicle.

The driver may also have to report the accident to a police officer or at a police station, in person, as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. This duty arises whenever the driver has not given their name and address at the scene of the accident, whether or not they were asked to do so.

If any personal injury is caused to another person, the driver must also produce a valid insurance certificate if asked to do so by a police officer, injured person, or anyone else directly or indirectly involved in the accident. If the insurance certificate is asked for, but not produced at the time, the accident must be reported to a police station as soon as practicable, or in any case within 24 hours, and the insurance certificate must be taken to a police station within seven days of the accident. However if the driver is asked at the time of the accident to produce insurance details and does so, there is no further obligation to report the accident to the police, as long as they have complied with the duties described above.

For more information about personal injuries, in England and Wales see Personal injuries, and in Scotland see Personal injuries.

In the case of a damage-only accident, the driver must give insurance details to anyone who may wish to make a claim against them.

In all accidents, drivers should inform their own insurance company.

Little Bear Transport Ltd 2020